About the RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Online Course
Do you love the idea of confidently exploring new locations by boat?
This e-learning course allows you to advance your passage planning skills using practical case studies. The online day skipper training course provides a perfect framework for preparing for your coastal sailing adventures.
If you are planning to participate in the associated sailboat practical course, then completing the online theory course beforehand will equip you with adequate knowledge on seamanship and navigation safety to help you obtain your professional qualifications.
“What will I learn in the RYA Day Skipper Course?”
- Understanding your safety and legal obligations as a yacht skipper
- Knowing where to find weather forecasts and interpreting them
- ‘Learning to see’ through chartwork, and deciphering lights & buoyage
- Avoiding collisions when sailing with the aid of traditional and modern tools, from a hand bearing compass, through to AIS alert systems and DSC calling
- Escape the beaten track, learn how to navigate your yacht into secluded anchorages, and be confident you are using all tools at your disposal to remain safe while you are there
- Make tide your friend, understand your currents and tides, and how to use them to your advantage during your adventures
- Real-life and practical scenarios throughout to help your understanding of the relevance and use of these skills
- Practical passage planning frameworks to bring everything together
- A catalyst to take the next step in achieving your boating dreams.
This e-learning course has been developed by Above & Beyond Boating to teach you the skills within the RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Syllabus. There are 16 units comprising of lessons and activities. Each lesson has structured training content with review questions to provide immediate feedback. At the end of each unit, there is a quiz to make sure you have understood everything. On completion of the course units, you will need to complete some online assessments to get your certificate.
The framework of the RYA Course has been used with practical Australian-based case studies, pictures and examples wherever possible to ensure you finish the course feeling confident to undertake your next steps.
Duration of Learning
The course takes around 40 hours in total to complete, but it is structured so you can work at your own pace.
The assumed knowledge is that you have completed RYA Essential Navigation and Seamanship Course to set your skill foundation for this course.
Once you have completed the 16 units of study there is a general assessment and a chartwork assessment paper. They are completed online and each one lasts for up to 1.5 hours. We will mark your assessment and then send your certificate.
If in the very unlikely event that you do not pass the first time, we will provide feedback with you and there is the opportunity to sit the exam again, once you feel ready.
RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Certificate.
“What’s included in the course?”
- Navigation training materials, sent via express post within Australia and by registered airmail for international addresses*
- RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Course Notes to keep as your essential reference book. It covers the whole syllabus, including the latest developments in electronic navigation and techniques.
- RYA Training Charts & Training Almanac. These resources have been developed to give you exposure to the skippering challenges you could encounter anywhere your qualification could take you. You will experience changes in buoyage systems, time zones, extreme tidal flows, navigate under bridges and over sand bars. These resources are yours to keep and contribute to an unrivaled learning experience.
- Navigator’s Tools: course plotter, dividers, 2B pencil & eraser so that you’re equipped for your next adventure and beyond.
- Personal online course user account, with a grade book and unlimited opportunity to return to lessons and reinforce your learning, even once you have completed a unit or passed the final assessments.